Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Every drop counts

Josiah was able to start his next phase of treatment this week.  His ANC was up to 1260.  This phase is called Interim Maintenance.  He went in for chemo and a lumbar puncture on Monday, then back for a chemo infusion on Tuesday.

I have heard someone say that a diagnosis of cancer can be financially crippling for a family without health insurance.  I can absolutely see how true that would be and I continue to be so thankful for God's provision for Josiah's medical needs through Aaron's job, our health insurance, and gifts.  Just for fun, on Tuesday while Josiah was hooked up for chemo, I decided to calculate the cost (original amount billed to insurance) of one drop of one (90 minute) infusion on one day.  Once I shared my mission, I let nurses place their bets.  :)  According to my calculations, since 97.9% of each drop was saline and the rest was actually chemo medicine, 2.1% of one drop had a price tag of $30.

Our family is participating in a race on March 8th at Grand Canyon University to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer and directly benefit Phoenix Children's Hospital and the Children's Cancer Network.  If you want to run with us, let us know and register under "Team Timmons" at http://www.runtofightcancer.com.  If you would rather make a donation, go to:  http://grouprev.com/team-timmons.  Every drop counts.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, impressive calculations! Don't forget to factor in nurse salary, housekeeping, electricity, water, AC.... :)

    ReplyDelete