Sunday, November 3, 2013

Test results and treatment plan

Thank you so much to each of you who have been praying and anticipating results and treatment details alongside us.  There was a lot of information and this is all very new to me, but I'll try to communicate what I learned today as best I can.  

First off, cancer means there are cells that are growing too fast somewhere in the body.  Josiah's official diagnosis is T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (T-NHL).  They believe his cancer started in the Thymus and spread to the lymph nodes next to it and then into the lymph nodes in the neck and adenoids.  They didn't find any cancer cells in the bone marrow or spinal fluid!  All this information determined his disease is at stage 3.  Standard treatment for stage 2 and 3 is the same.  There will be a 4 week induction period where they try to wipe out all the sick cells and put him into remission.  At that point, they evaluate his response and decide what course of action should follow.  We can expect to better understand the nurses' buttons that say "cancer sucks" during the first 6 months of treatment.  For the next ~2.5 years treatments are less intense, hair can grow back, and a kid's life can feel more "normal".  Children are resilient and researchers have made remarkable strides in achieving a high survival rate.

Josiah's golden birthday (turns 4 on the 4th) will mark his first chemo treatment.  He may be released as early as Thursday depending on how he does.  After that, it is weekly outpatient visits for the next few weeks before the next evaluation period.  

This last week I have thought about life and death and hope and truth in new ways.  Who do we run to for reassurance?  Where do we go when we get that lump in our throat?  What do we do to avoid the pain?  When the rubber meets the road, where does our help come from?  

Psalm 121:1 "I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."

Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."


9 comments:

  1. Josiah--I pray that on your birthday, you will be showered with love and fun gifts to remind you how much your Heavenly Father loves you. Praying that your first day of chemo is uneventful and that your body responds and fights off this cancer! Love to your family--The Nutters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know today doesn't look like you expected a couple of weeks ago, but this did not take God by surprise. He is right there with you in this, and so are a whole bunch of people who love you! Praying for God's presence to surround you and fill you with hope and peace. Thank you for the privilege of traveling this road with you in prayer!
    Sandie and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all today. So precious to see your faith shining through. You are a remarkable woman of faith. This is the strength that will carry you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping all of you in my prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will add my personal favorite life verse to your support from God's word...also from Isaiah... 43: 1-3
    For I have called you by name and you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great troubles I will be with you, when you go through rivers of difficulty you will not drown, when you walk through the fires of oppression you will not be burned up, the flames will not consume you for I am the Lord your God, the holy one of Israel...YOUR SAVIOR!
    I love you friend, please hug your strong baby boy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday what a big boy, your sister told me about your party and the balloons. I hope today goes smoothly and uneventful. We are praying for healing and strength for your body. God can and does create wonderful miracles Love the Martindales

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaiah 41:10 is such a sweet verse to my heart. I'm thankful you've been clinging to it as well. I'm praying for you Sarah Jeanne and your little birthday boy as you begin this journey of treatment. I'm so sorry you had to mark this special birthday at the hospital, but praying for sweet nurses and doctors who will help make this a special day for Josiah even admist chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this. I'll be praying that God's hand is so present in how Josiah's body responds. So wonderful to hear you clinging to truth! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sarah, my heart goes out to sweet Josiah and your entire family. We are praying and trusting the One who holds all things together. May Jesus carry Josiah through these treatments and provide great peace of His presence. We are honored to pray with your family.
    Sarah Cott

    ReplyDelete