Friday, November 1, 2013

Boo!

Last year today I left the hospital with a newborn.  This year I arrived at the hospital to find a happy little transformer who had "won" several little prizes at a morning carnival with Daddy.  Someone donated enough costumes for every child to choose one to keep.  I could go off about how amazing this place is, but I'll save that for another time.

He had a PET scan, CT scan, and bone marrow biopsy today.  Everything went smoothly and hopefully I will be able to update you with results in the next couple days.  Tomorrow he will have a Spinal Tap with some chemo.  Even if they don't find lymphoma in the spinal fluid, they have found it best to do some treatment rather than risk missing it and later find tumors in the brain.

He is also scheduled to get a "medicine button" at 2pm.  I better explain that one because I made the term up.  :)  This is a port that will go straight into a major artery rather than through an IV.  He is so excited to have both hands free!  

I was also able to get a little better idea about long term treatment expectations and was told 3 years of monthly visits in addition to medicine taken at home.

I am overwhelmed by the ocean of care and support of so many people.  Not a "drowning in the middle of it" overwhelmed, but a "standing before the vastness of it" overwhelmed.  I am grateful for each kind word, deed and prayer by our friends, family, and those we have yet to meet.  

Phillipians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  

I get it.  In a way I never have before.  Praise God.


2 comments:

  1. We are continuing to pray! Josiah and all of you are in my thoughts and prayers all throughout the day. Thank you for keeping us all updated. Please let me know if I can help in any way. Love you, my sister-in-Christ! - Andi Wilhelm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turns out lots of people use the term medicine button. Also, did they really tell me 3 years of monthly treatments or was I just sleep deprived and hearing what I wanted? They have been weekly appointments and will be for the first 8-9 months. Then they should get spread out to monthly for a total of 3 years of treatment.

    ReplyDelete